SQUIRREL WITH LIMA BEANS
- Servings: 6 - 8
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 2 squirrels, dressed and cut into pieces
- 2 cup dried lima beans, soaked overnight
- flour, salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup okra
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cans (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- dash of thyme and parsley
- 1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper (as desired)
1 Dredge squirrel pieces in flour mixture.
2 In Dutch oven, fry bacon and remove.
3 Brown squirrels in bacon drippings; cover squirrels, bacon, beans, onion, celery and carrots with boiling water.
4 Simmer for 2 hours.
5 Squirrel meat may be removed from bones at this point if you desire.
6 Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour longer or until squirrel and vegetables are tender.
7 If desired, thicken with flour and water paster and adjust seasonings.