STANDARD NO-BAKE COOKIES
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 6 TB Natural Cocoa
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 Cups of quick Oats
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add sugar, cocoa, and Milk.
- When Sugar disolves, place a candy thermometer into the pan.
- When the mixture reaches 243, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and quick oats.
- Drop by Tablespoons full onto waxed paper or Parchment.
- Allow 30 minutes for cookies to set.
- Enjoy with a large cup of coffee or an ice cold glass of milk.
NotesSuper chocolatey, Super rich, and a Super mess if they don't set up right. I had almost given up on making these, even though I had my mom's recipe and I had seen her make them a million times. So I went looking on the internet for any insight as to why I was having issues. Much to my dismay they all had the same ingredients AND in the same qualnities. The only difference was the boiling time. This one said 1 minute but don't count until it's at a full rolling boil. Another one said 6 minutes, but start timing when you see the first bubbles break the surface. Many batches and many Super messes later, I finally got smart. I went back to my mom's recipe, which called for a 5 minute boil. This time, however, I stuck a thermometer in the brew. that was when I notices that the 5 minute rule was unpredictable, as was the 1 mintue from a full boil or the 6 minutes from the first bubbles. All these were at different temperatures either just below or just above soft ball stage between 230 and 236 degrees. So I decided to throw timing out the window all together and just boil the mixture to 243, which is that 1 degree between the end of softball 242 and the beginning of firmball 244. Since then I have had no more Super messes and many more Super chocolatey, Super rich cookies to enjoy.