- Cooking Time: 10 minutes/batch
- Servings: 30 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 8 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- Liquid or paste food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, flour and cream. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2 in. star cookie cutter. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Prick each cookie 3-4 times with a fork. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve desired spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired.
- Carefully spread filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
NotesI baked these treats for a church tea. The night before, I gave a sample to the folks setting up. They liked the cookies so much, they set aside a few to ensure they'd get some the next day!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Italy or Bust
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More