- Cooking Time: 23-25 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- Four Corner Hats Pastry:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (original recipe called for orange zest)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Assorted fresh berries.
- Four Corner Hat Pastry Instructions:
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugars. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add remaining ingredients and knead to form a dough. Divide into 3 portions. Flatten each to about 1/2 inch thickness. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. (I let mine chill over night).
- Cream Cheese Filling instructions:
- Combine all ingredients...not worrying about any minor lumps
- Construction the Pastries in 12 ramekins:
- Preheat the oven to 375' F. Remove 1/3 of the dough from the fridge. Divide dough into 4 equal portions and quickly roll on heavily floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. (keep all dough that is not currently being worked with, in the fridge)
- Place a piece of pastry dough inside a greased ramekin. Work it in and trim off the excess. I had the pastry lined up with the little rim inside the ramekin that's about 1/2 inch from the top. The pastry will rise while baking and you don't want a mess after all this work.
- Drop some berries in the bottom.
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of cream cheese mix in there and top with some more berries.
- If you have some dough leftover, cut into your favorite or holiday appropriate shape and place on the center.
- Bake at 375' F for 23-25 minutes, until golden brown.
NotesI originally named these Star Bangled Pastries because they were developed from the results of a mess. But the flavor was so good I just couldn't stop there....and thus they were born.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes for Vitality
Babette's Test Kitchen
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More