- Cooking Time: 45-60
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 20
- For the cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (I was out of milk, so I used half and half)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I used 325 degrees). Grease and flour a 9 X 5 loaf pan (I used glass Pyrex).
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- 3. In a mixer bowl, combine eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the lemon extract and lemon juice (the lemon extract and lemon juice can curdle the eggs, so we want the mixer running to combine quickly).
- 4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth. You can do this by hand. Stir the oil and zest into the batter until completely mixed.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached (about 45 min at 350 degrees; about 57 minutes at 325 degrees). Remove from oven onto a wire cooling rack. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes while you prepare the glaze (whisk glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and well-combined). Pour glaze over warm cake and let cool completely in pan. Store tightly covered. Keeps well for several days.
NotesCook's note: On some of the recipe sites, there were mentions of the loaf falling. Mine did not. I don't know what might make it fall. Just be warned that it may have a bit of a reputation to fall. The original recipe said to bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. I baked mine at 325 degrees for 56 minutes in a glass pan. I thought a little lower temp might prevent the loaf from rising too quickly and then falling. Who knows. But mine was fine.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Taste of CenturyLink
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More