- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 1/2lbs boneless chuck roast cubed
- salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons flour
- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup chestnut mushrooms halved
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with flour, and toss until coated.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the meat until well browned. Add the onion, and fry for another minute. Then add the celery, carrots, mushrooms, and herbs. Cook 5 minutes, then add the guinness, bullion cube, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stir well, and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce is thickened.
- 3. For the pie, preheat the oven to 375F. Roll out one of the pie crusts into the bottom of a large pie dish, making sure the crust hangs over the edge. Put the meat stew into a the pie shell. Roll out the remaining pastry dough and place over the baking dish, folding the crust over the edges and crimping. Poke a few holes into the pastry, and brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- 4. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More