- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 1/2lbs boneless chuck roast cubed
- salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons flour
- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup chestnut mushrooms halved
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with flour, and toss until coated.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the meat until well browned. Add the onion, and fry for another minute. Then add the celery, carrots, mushrooms, and herbs. Cook 5 minutes, then add the guinness, bullion cube, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stir well, and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce is thickened.
- 3. For the pie, preheat the oven to 375F. Roll out one of the pie crusts into the bottom of a large pie dish, making sure the crust hangs over the edge. Put the meat stew into a the pie shell. Roll out the remaining pastry dough and place over the baking dish, folding the crust over the edges and crimping. Poke a few holes into the pastry, and brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- 4. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Summertime SippersSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More