STEAMED RED TILAPIA WITH GINGER & SCALLION
Steamed Red Tilapia With Ginger & Scallion
- 4-6 oz of Tilapia fillet
- Juice from 2 lime wedges
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ cup gingerroot, julienne stripes
- 4 stalk of green scallion, cut into 2 inch long strips
- 1 cup white onion, sliced
- salt & pepper to season the fillets
- ¼ to ½ tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes(optional
In a shallow dish, arrange fish fillets evenly and seasoned the fillets with salt & pepper. Place ginger, scallions and onions evenly on top of the fillets. Pour soy sauce and orange juice over the fish, covered, refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes.
2. In a steamer or baking rack in a wide deep kettle. Add water to the kettle to reach just below the steamer rack.
3. Place fish and the marinade in a heat prove plate, such as a glass pie plate, at least 1 inch smaller in diameter than the steamer on the rack and cover with tie lid. Bring the water to a boil, about 6 minutes or until fish just flakes. Carefully remove plate from the rack. Steam time varies depend on thickness of fillet.
4. Squeeze lemon or lime, more salt & pepper to taste.
5. Other vegetables such as asparagus or carrots can also be added to the steamer to cook along side the fish. Garnish with a lime wedge