Steamed Sweet Coconut Parcels
For the parcel casing:
2 cups uncooked rice
¼ tsp salt
2 tsps oil
3 cups water (for diluting mixture)
For the filling:
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 ¼ cups powdered jaggery
Prepare for cover
1) Soak the rice in water for 2-3 hours. Grind to a smooth paste.
2) Add water to the paste to dilute it until it reaches a thin pouring consistency.
3) Add salt and mix well.
4) Heat the oil in a pan, pour rice mixture.
5) Stir continuously for about 5 mins until it forms a thick dough like ball.
5) Cover and set aside.
1) Heat the water in a saucepan, and add powdered jaggery
2) When the jaggery has melted completely, add the desiccated coconut and stir for 4-5 mins, until it forms a thick mixture which is sticky to the touch.
3) Remove from the heat.
4) Add powdered cardamom and mix well.
Put together the cover and
1) Rub a little oil onto the palms of your hands.
2) Make small balls of dough, kneading them thoroughly.
3) Take each ball of dough and make a cup like shape. The shape must be in such a way that one is able to place filling in the cup.
4) Close the parcel by pinching the rim of the cup to form a peak.
5) Steam the parcels for 5mins.
Enjoy warm or cooled.
Pairs Well With
Known as Kozhukkattai, this dish is very popular in the southern part of the India. Supposed to be the favorite of Lord Ganesh (Elephant headed God), this is prepared during the Ganesha Chaturthi, celebrated every year, in the month of August/September.
Submitted by: "Santosh Shaastry"