STEP BY STEP EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Step by Step Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- SAUCE -
- 2 28 oz cans tomatoes
- 1 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- fresh ground pepper
1. Slice the the eggplant into THIN rounds. Making sure to slice the eggplant thin is key to a good finished product. Thicker cut eggplant comes out spongy and downright nasty..I learned this the hard way. About a quarter inch in thickness is perfection. If you find some of the rounds too large in diameter feel free to half them.
2. Sprinkle the slices with salt and allow to dry for at least half an hour on paper towels.
3. Prepare your sauce. Mix all ingredients together and use a potato masher to gently mash tomatoes into smaller pieces while combining well. Put sauce mixture aside.
4. Prepare your eggplant dipping station. Set 3 bowls up next to the stove. In the bowl furthest from the stove add the flour. In the middle bowl add the eggs. In the bowl closest to the stove add the breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350.
5. Once your eggplant is dry or half an hour has elapsed it is time to get cooking!! On medium heat prepare TWO pans with olive oil. Using two pans drastically cuts down on cooking time, keep your tongs handy!! Don't be shy with the olive oil people. Using a fork dredge eggplant first in the flour, then eggs and then coat thoroughly with breadcrumb mixture before placing into the pan. Cook eggplant a few minutes until brown then turn and brown the other side. You most likely will need to add more oil throughout the cooking time. Do not allow the pan to get dry or your eggplant will have an icky consistency. Place finished eggplant on papertowels to cool while finishing the batch.
6. Layer half of the eggplant in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Top with half of the sauce mixture and half of the cheese. Layer remaining eggplant on top followed by the rest of the sauce and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.