STICKY RICE WITH MANGOES (KAO NIEW MANNUANG) - THAILAND
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups/300 grams sticky (glutenous) rice aka ketan*
- 3 cups/450 grams water
- 1 cup/150 grams coconut milk
- ½ cup/100 grams palm sugar* or light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, halved, then sliced
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk
- * These products are available at your local Asian food market.
Soak the rice in cold water to cover for 7 to 8 hours.
Cook rice over high heat until water boils; turn to low and cook until the rice looks dry and fluffy.
Meanwhile combine sugar, 1 cup coconut milk, and salt in a bowl, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
When the rice is cooked, pour the coconut milk mixture over it. Mix well and let the sticky rice stand for 20 minutes. Cook 4 tablespoons of coconut milk over low heat for 10 minutes, set aside.
Spoon the sticky rice on a dessert plate.
Angle the mango slices around the sticky rice.
Top with warm coconut milk.
Selamat makan! Smaaklijk eten!