- Cooking Time: 22 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, frozen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 7 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced (red onions are good)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 1/2 ounces coarsely crumbled Stilton blue cheese
- 1 large egg white, beaten to blend
- Blend both flours and salt in processor 5 seconds.
- Drop in shortening by tablespoonfuls, process until coarsely diced.
- Add butter, process until coarse.
- Transfer to bowl and add 7 tablespoons ice water.
- Mix until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball; divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Wrap and chill at least 45 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, saute until deep brown, about 30 minutes.
- Add wine and thyme, simmer until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and cool.
- Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out each dough disk to 9-inch round.
- Spread 1/4 of onion mixture on half of each round, leaving 1-inch plain border.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 of cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Brush dough border with some egg white.
- Fold plain dough half over filling, sealing edges.
- Fold sealed edge over again; press with fork to double-seal.
- Brush each pasty with egg white.
- Cut 3 slits in each top crust.
- Bake until crust is golden brown about 15 to 22 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; serve.
NotesThis recipe originally had beef strips in it. I've tried it with and without the beef I really like it best without. You can make these smaller if you like, these are real good served with red onion jam!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More