- Cooking Time: 22 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, frozen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 7 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced (red onions are good)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 1/2 ounces coarsely crumbled Stilton blue cheese
- 1 large egg white, beaten to blend
- Blend both flours and salt in processor 5 seconds.
- Drop in shortening by tablespoonfuls, process until coarsely diced.
- Add butter, process until coarse.
- Transfer to bowl and add 7 tablespoons ice water.
- Mix until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball; divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Wrap and chill at least 45 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, saute until deep brown, about 30 minutes.
- Add wine and thyme, simmer until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and cool.
- Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out each dough disk to 9-inch round.
- Spread 1/4 of onion mixture on half of each round, leaving 1-inch plain border.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 of cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Brush dough border with some egg white.
- Fold plain dough half over filling, sealing edges.
- Fold sealed edge over again; press with fork to double-seal.
- Brush each pasty with egg white.
- Cut 3 slits in each top crust.
- Bake until crust is golden brown about 15 to 22 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; serve.
NotesThis recipe originally had beef strips in it. I've tried it with and without the beef I really like it best without. You can make these smaller if you like, these are real good served with red onion jam!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid FoodsSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More