- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces dried wide rice noodles
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled with tails on
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 fresh red chile, sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into small wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Soak the dried rice noodles in cool or lukewarm water for 30 minutes, or until they're limp but still firm to the touch; later cooking in the wok will soften them more.
- Drain the noodles thoroughly in a colander and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, tamarind juice, and sugar; stir well to melt the sugar. Taste and adjust flavors to the desired combination of salty, sour, and sweet.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat until it is smoking hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and quickly stir-fry the shrimp until they turn pink and are almost cooked through; 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and toss in the garlic, shallots, and chile; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Push the garlic and shallots to 1 side of the wok and pour the egg into the center.
- Scramble the egg lightly until set, breaking it up into pieces with a spatula.
- Add the drained noodles to the wok, stirring and tossing quickly with 2 spatulas to separate the strands.
- Pour in the fish sauce mixture, tossing well to coat the noodles and keep them from sticking (if the noodles are still too firm, drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help them cook.)
- When the noodles are in good shape, toss in 1/2 of the bean sprouts and peanuts; save the remaining for garnish.
- Continue to stir-fry, to combine.
- Return the shrimp to the wok and toss the pad thai together to warm everything through.
- Serve the pad thai on a platter, pile the remaining bean sprouts and peanuts on 1 side of the dish and garnish with the lime wedges and cilantro.
- Squeeze lime juice over each portion before eating.
NotesRecipe adapted from Tyler Florence
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More