- Cooking Time: 5-8
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 - 6oz cans of evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (can leave out)
- 1 tsp salt (I use kosher salt)
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper (black is fine also)
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente (still slightly firm). Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard.
- Stir into the pasta and add the cheese.
- Over low heat continue to stir for 3-4 minutes until creamy. You can stir in some regular milk to thin it down a bit if you want if its too thick for you.
- Serve and enjoy
NotesThis is a great recipe for the kids also. Lets face it. Kids love the box type mac n cheese. They often cringe at the baked crusty top style that many of the homemade versions are.
This is an easy to make stove top style that I make for my daughter all the time. She loves it.
Try variations of different cheese such as pepper jack for a spicy version.