- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound dried navy or other white beans
- 1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup natural brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons mustard powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and cook in a large pot according to package instruction when beans come to a boil. Cook the beans until they are tender but not mushy. Drain.
- Return beans to the pot. Toss with sliced onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together maple syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar and all spices. Pour over beans and onions. Stir well. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to very low. Slowly simmer beans, stirring fairly often to prevent sticking. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours partially covered. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.
- To cook beans in a slow cooker, toss cooked beans and onions in a crock pot. Whisk together all remaining ingredients. Pour over the beans and onions stirring well. Cover and cook over low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally, if possible.
NotesSlowly simmered organic white beans combine with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, ketchup and a touch of cayenne for a sweet, tangy take on traditional baked beans. Cooked on the stove top or in a crock pot, these tasty beans are well-suited for feeding a crowd.
Per serving (about 9oz/245g-wt.): 410 calories (15 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 91g total carbohydrate (16g dietary fiber, 47g sugar), 13g protein
Bombshell Approved: Fast, Simple, Satisfying
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More