- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound dried navy or other white beans
- 1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup natural brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons mustard powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and cook in a large pot according to package instruction when beans come to a boil. Cook the beans until they are tender but not mushy. Drain.
- Return beans to the pot. Toss with sliced onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together maple syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar and all spices. Pour over beans and onions. Stir well. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to very low. Slowly simmer beans, stirring fairly often to prevent sticking. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours partially covered. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.
- To cook beans in a slow cooker, toss cooked beans and onions in a crock pot. Whisk together all remaining ingredients. Pour over the beans and onions stirring well. Cover and cook over low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally, if possible.
NotesSlowly simmered organic white beans combine with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, ketchup and a touch of cayenne for a sweet, tangy take on traditional baked beans. Cooked on the stove top or in a crock pot, these tasty beans are well-suited for feeding a crowd.
Per serving (about 9oz/245g-wt.): 410 calories (15 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 91g total carbohydrate (16g dietary fiber, 47g sugar), 13g protein
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More