- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 8 - 3/4 cups
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked white rice, unsalted, cold
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce, to drizzle (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce, to drizzle (homemade or store bought)
- In a med-large sauce pan simmer rice, milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt, uncovered, over moderate heat, stirring frequently (never leave unattended), until desired thickness occurs, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut extract.
- Add shredded coconut to a dry skillet, gently mixing so it wont burn. Will toast quickly so keep an eye on it. Once golden brown, remove from heat and immediately transfer, in a single layer, to a flat surface to cool.
- To assemble, start by drizzling about a tbsp of caramel sauce in the bottom of your serving cup. Spoon in pudding, leaving about a half an inch from top of cup. Top with toasted coconut, another drizzle of caramel and finish with a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- Serve warm or cold. I'm always too impatient to wait, so I eat it as soon as it's cooled down enough so it doesn't burn my mouth -- almost LOL.
NotesI grew up having rice pudding as a snack thanks to my late Grandpa Joey. The man lived in the kitchen and made everything from scratch. Miss you Grandpa Joey <3