STOVETOP "SAMOA" RICE PUDDING
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 8 - 3/4 cups
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked white rice, unsalted, cold
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, toasted
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce, to drizzle (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce, to drizzle (homemade or store bought)
In a med-large sauce pan simmer rice, milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt, uncovered, over moderate heat, stirring frequently (never leave unattended), until desired thickness occurs, about 40 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut extract.
Add shredded coconut to a dry skillet, gently mixing so it wont burn. Will toast quickly so keep an eye on it. Once golden brown, remove from heat and immediately transfer, in a single layer, to a flat surface to cool.
To assemble, start by drizzling about a tbsp of caramel sauce in the bottom of your serving cup. Spoon in pudding, leaving about a half an inch from top of cup. Top with toasted coconut, another drizzle of caramel and finish with a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Serve warm or cold. I'm always too impatient to wait, so I eat it as soon as it's cooled down enough so it doesn't burn my mouth -- almost LOL.