- Cooking Time: 15-18 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- Filling: (yep...we're going to start with the filling)
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (plus extra for sprinkling on the tops)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped into very small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400'F
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1 1/2 tablespoon of egg, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix with a spoon until its pretty smooth. Don't worry about the little lumps. Set aside (do not chill)
- Over low heat, melt the butter. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the milk. Stir to combine. Let the mixture cool a bit Then whisk the eggs in.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and blend until just combined. Over blending will create dense / flat muffins. Lumps and flour streaks are acceptable and expected.
- Fill each muffin cup, barely 1/2 full with muffin batter. Sprinkle a little bit of the chopped strawberries in each cup. Top the strawberries with a dollop of the cream cheese filling.
- Add more muffin mix (about 1 - 2 tablespoons) to each cup.
- Take a few more strawberries and sprinkle them over the tops of each muffin....gently pushing them in a bit.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar on top to create that nice crunch
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes...until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out almost clean (that cream cheese and the strawberries might get stuck to the toothpick...doesn't mean it's not done)
- Let cool for a few minutes before carefully removing the muffins
NotesI just have to say that these could quite possibly be the most perfect muffin I've ever tasted. Light, moist, and with a surprise inside
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
NFPG Recipe Collection
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)See More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More