STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM TART
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- TART CRUST
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup seedless red currant jelly
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, blend flour, butter, sugar, and salt until moist crumbs form (this may take up to 1 minute). Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.
- With floured fingers, press dough evenly into pan and up sides. Dip a dry-measuring cup in flour, and use it to press dough firmly into bottom and against sides of pan. Freeze crust until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a fork, prick crust all over. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes, pressing down gently once or twice with a spoon during baking if crust puffs up. Cool completely in pan.
- Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth; spread mixture evenly in bottom of baked crust (still in tart pan).
- Starting from outside edge, arrange strawberry halves, stemmed side down, in tight concentric circles on cream cheese.
- In a small saucepan, heat jelly on medium-low until liquefied. Gently brush strawberries with jelly; let set at least 20 minutes. Chill in pan at least 1 hour (and up to 6 hours); remove from pan just before serving.
NotesI believe this recipe originally came from an issue of Everyday Food. This is a fantastic summer dessert and a great way to use fresh strawberries. I also created a spinoff recipe inspired by this - Peaches and Cream Tart.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More