- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Crepe Batter
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of whole milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup all purpose or plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBS sugar
- 6 TBS strawberry jam(or corresponding jam to berries used)
- The grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 containers of berries
- 2 TBS brandy (optional)
- 2 TBS orange juice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender for approx 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides, pushing everything down into the main mass. Blend for an additional 10 seconds or until the batter is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. The batter should be the consistency of fresh cream, if too thick add more milk, if too thin add more flour (1 or 2 TBS at most). This will make approx 12 crepes.
- While the crepe batter is refrigerating make the filling:
- Put the jam, lemon rind and lemon juice in a small saucepan and heat slowly and gently until combined. Hull and slice the strawberries, reserve some of the best for the top. The rest go into the saucepan with the jam/lemon combination. Bring the berries to the simmering point, remove from heat and stir in orange juice and brandy.
- Cook the crepes until the entire batter is used. Then:
- Place a crepe on a large ovenproof plate and spread 2 or 3 TBS of the strawberry mixture over it. Then add a second crepe and repeat the process until you have used all the crepes and all but two TBS of the mixture. Using the nice, reserved strawberries, arrange them on the top crepe and pour the remaining mixture over them. Place the gateau into a moderate 180c or 350f oven for 10 or 15 minutes to heat. You may serve this cold but it isn't, to my taste, as good. Cut into wedges (4 if you're really hungry, 6 if you're normal, 8 if its not the main dish) and serve with a bowl of sweetened whipped cream.
NotesIt's easier than it sounds, tastes terrific and is fairly easy on calories and sugar. Happy Holidays all. May you be well fed and have leftovers. lucas hess
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
The Social Cookbook
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More