- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2qts of strawberries, clean, wash and pat dry then, quarter
- 4 cups sparkling water
- 1 cups white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup white rum
- ½ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- In a deep saucepan, start with water and sugars. Stir occasionally until sugar is melted then, add strawberries and balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 1 hour and add in rum. Continue simmer on medium-low heat until the entire volume reduces by half. Stir frequently.
- Once the mixture has reduced by half, slowly stir in ½ cup of heavy cream (that is at room temperature). (You should mix in slowly to avoid the cream curdling from the heat of the strawberry mixture.)
- Turn off heat, let sit for about five minutes then serve. This stores well in an airtight or vacuum-sealed container for two weeks.
- This reduction is absolutely WONDERFUL as a sauce!!! Try as a toss vinaigrette in a spinach salad or as a flavor enhancer for vanilla ice cream or a pound cake or angel food cake slice !
NotesThis was a huge hit at a dinner party that I recently catered - it went surprisingly well on the roasted leg of lamb.