- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 70
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 TBS. Granulated Sugar
- 1 TBS. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 8 TBS. (1 stick) cold, Unsalted Butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 Egg Yolks, large
- Light Cream for the finish
- Turbinado Sugar to finish
- 1 1/3 cups Light Cream
- 1.Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- 2.Cut or rub in the butter pieces as if making pastry.
- 3.Make a well in center of flour/butter mixture.
- 4.In a smaller bowl, combine egg yolks and cream. Pour cream mixture into the flour/butter mixture well.
- 5.Mix until flour/butter mixture is coated with cream mixture. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- 6.Gently fold in sliced strawberries.
- 7.Pat or roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured service. Cut as desired.
- 8.Place dough on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for an hour.
- 9.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 10.Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11.When still warm from the oven, brush scones gently with cream and sprinkle them with turbinado sugar.
NotesThis is a basic cream scone recipe from the book On Baking. I added the strawberries in honor of my son's birth mom. We had just spent the weekend by the ocean with her and her 16 year old son. Over a bucket of strawberries she and I spoke of motherhood, sacrifices, my 4 year old, and our "different kind of" family.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More