- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 70
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 TBS. Granulated Sugar
- 1 TBS. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 8 TBS. (1 stick) cold, Unsalted Butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 Egg Yolks, large
- Light Cream for the finish
- Turbinado Sugar to finish
- 1 1/3 cups Light Cream
- 1.Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- 2.Cut or rub in the butter pieces as if making pastry.
- 3.Make a well in center of flour/butter mixture.
- 4.In a smaller bowl, combine egg yolks and cream. Pour cream mixture into the flour/butter mixture well.
- 5.Mix until flour/butter mixture is coated with cream mixture. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- 6.Gently fold in sliced strawberries.
- 7.Pat or roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured service. Cut as desired.
- 8.Place dough on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for an hour.
- 9.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 10.Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11.When still warm from the oven, brush scones gently with cream and sprinkle them with turbinado sugar.
NotesThis is a basic cream scone recipe from the book On Baking. I added the strawberries in honor of my son's birth mom. We had just spent the weekend by the ocean with her and her 16 year old son. Over a bucket of strawberries she and I spoke of motherhood, sacrifices, my 4 year old, and our "different kind of" family.
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More