STRAWBERRY GOAT CHEESE PIZZA
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 ball of fresh pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (2oz) softened goat cheese
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Baby arugula, frisée or basil leaves (for garnish; optional)
- First make a white balsamic vinaigrette by whisking the white balsamic vinegar with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Next, make an aged balsamic reduction by placing the aged balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer until it has reduced to about 4 teaspoons.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a free form shape. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until firm and slightly brown.
- Remove the pizza crust from the oven and spread the softened goat cheese over the top, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the pizza.
- Toss the strawberries with the white balsamic vinaigrette and arrange the strawberries evenly on top of the softened goat cheese.
- Return the pizza back to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over the top.
- Drizzle the aged balsamic reduction over the pizza and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Garnish by topping pizza with a few leaves of arugula, frisée or basil if desired.
NotesIf there's a fruit I couldn't live without, it would be strawberries. I've loved strawberries since I was young and now as an adult, I'm finding new ways to enjoy them. Most folks would use strawberries in a sweet application but they're pretty delicious in a savory application as well. One example is this Strawberry Goat Cheese Pizza. Yes... a pizza! Strawberries + balsamic vinegar + goat cheese = deliciousness. So why not put these ingredients on top of a pizza? If you're looking for a unique sweet and savory pizza, look no more!...
Strawberries don't last very long in my house. Either I'm eating a bowl of strawberries drizzled with balsamic vinegar or using them in baked goods. When I came across this dish a few weeks ago at a social event I attended, I knew I had to try making it at home. The whole idea had me intrigued and the flavors worked so well on top of a plain pizza dough. It's simple to prepare, especially if you're using a store bought ball of pizza dough. The dough is shaped however you like, and baked until lightly browned. Meanwhile, strawberries are tossed in a white balsamic vinaigrette dressing. When the pizza has browned, softened goat cheese is spread on top and the strawberries top the pizza. It bakes again for a few minutes and then crumbled goat cheese is sprinkled on and a balsamic reduction is drizzled on top. Easy peasy and oh so tasty!