- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. each soda, salt,and baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup butter milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups fresh or 1 package (13 oz.) package frozen cut rhubarb
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen sliced strawberries, sweetened
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 pan or line with Reynold's parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- For filling: Cut rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and combine with berries in a saucepan. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes, Add lemon juice.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch, add to fruit. Cook and stir 4 – 5 minutes, until thickened and set aside to cool.
- For topping: Combine sugar, flour, and butter until crumbly and set aside.
- For batter: combine flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture becomes fine crumbs. Beat together butter,
- milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- To complete: Spread half the batter in prepared pan. Spread cooled filling over batter. Spoon remaining batter in rounds on top of filling.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
NotesThis cake always makes me think of summer, even if it's January! When the berries and rhubarb are in season, this cake is a sweet and tart celebration of their flavors, but it can easily be done with frozen fruits any time of year! It is perfect with a cup of tea and some gossip ;)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More