- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI modified a recipe from Simply in Season to make this Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp. While I used fresh fruit, you could certainly use frozen fruits and berries of nearly any variety.
- 10 stalks rhubarb, roughly chopped
- 1 pint strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and coat a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine chopped rhubarb and strawberries in a large saucepan. Stir in sugar, orange zest and juice, and vanilla extract. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil and stir frequently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon. Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat until crumbly and moist. Press half of the flour mixture into the bottom pan to create a crust. Pour fruit mixture over crust and spread into an even layer.
- Mix walnuts into remaining half of flour mixture. Sprinkle mixture over fruit filling. Bake for 25-35 minutes until topping is golden brown and fruit mixture is bubbly. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes, then serve