- Cooking Time: 45min
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20min
- 2 pie pastries - I usually cheat and use Jiffy mix or buy refrigerated rolls
- 1qt fresh Rhubarb, cut into small chunks
- 1qt fresh Strawberries, quartered
- 1 1/2c Sugar
- 1/3c Flour
- heaping tablspoon Corn Starch
- Heat oven to 350deg.
- Blend together sugar, flour and starch.
- In large bowl, toss fruit together.
- Pour sugar mixture over fruit and stir to blend well, ensuring all fruit is coated with mixture.
- Line deep-dish pie plate with bottom crust.
- Pour fruit into crust; it may take some cramming to get it all in there- if you don't have deep-dish pie plates, make 2 pies in the shallower ones.
- Cover with top crust; pinch or fork together edges- whatever your preferred method, and cut slits in top of crust. Some like to make a lattice top, as it's rather apropos of the old-fashioned pie.
- Bake pie 40-45+min, til brown and bubbling from slits. I really stuff my pies and they do tend to overflow a little. This is just a little annoying because it can burn on the bottom of the oven. But I like fat pies.
NotesMy Grandma used to make this- she had a patch of rhubarb in the backyard when I was a kid. My neighbor's dad has one, too, turns out, and this year he sent me some. I froze half of it for Thanksgiving. My neighbor just HAD to try the pie- no one makes this anymore! It was awesome- like being a kid again, going back to Grandma's.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Applesauce Oaties – Great, Great Grandma Hannon
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
Coffee LiqueurSee More