- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon cream in small bowl. Set aside. Whisk remaining egg, remaining 1/4 cup cream, buttermilk, and vanilla together in medium bowl.
- Pulse flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor until blended. Add butter and pulse into flour until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, about ten 1-second pulses. Transfer mixture to large bowl and make well in center. Add buttermilk mixture and stir until batter forms moist clumps. Carefully stir in strawberries.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead gently until dough comes together and is smooth, about 10 seconds. Pat dough into 7-inch circle about 1 inch thick. Using sharp knife, cut circle into 8 wedges. With pastry brush, remove excess flour from wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, brush tops with egg and cream glaze, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of scones comes out with a few crumbs attached, about 15 minutes. Transfer scones to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Cooled scones can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
NotesI entered these in a competition through Cook's Country magazine. This recipe won the Grand Prize and was featured in the May 2003 issue.
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage Casserole
Vanilla Crunch Clouds
Fruity With a Touch of ZingSee More