- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon cream in small bowl. Set aside. Whisk remaining egg, remaining 1/4 cup cream, buttermilk, and vanilla together in medium bowl.
- Pulse flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor until blended. Add butter and pulse into flour until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, about ten 1-second pulses. Transfer mixture to large bowl and make well in center. Add buttermilk mixture and stir until batter forms moist clumps. Carefully stir in strawberries.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead gently until dough comes together and is smooth, about 10 seconds. Pat dough into 7-inch circle about 1 inch thick. Using sharp knife, cut circle into 8 wedges. With pastry brush, remove excess flour from wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, brush tops with egg and cream glaze, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of scones comes out with a few crumbs attached, about 15 minutes. Transfer scones to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Cooled scones can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
NotesI entered these in a competition through Cook's Country magazine. This recipe won the Grand Prize and was featured in the May 2003 issue.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More