- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or more--see inset)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cream (or more--see inset)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or cream for brushing
- 2 tablespoons large crystal sugar such as turbinado sugar
- 2 pints ripe strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- For the shortcake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
- Whisk the egg into the cream. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the cream mixture into the well. Mix with a fork until the ingredients just stick together. Drop into biscuits on a greased cookie sheet and then pat with the back of a spoon to make to about 3/4-inch thick. To make cut-out biscuits, pat the dough into a sheet on a floured countertop and cut into three inch shapes with either a knife or a cookie cutter.
- Brush the tops with the melted butter or cream. Sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for about fifteen minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve while still fresh and warm.
- Strawberry Hints: Always use fresh, succulent, ripe strawberries. Choose plump looking strawberries with green caps and avoid those that look bruised or mushy. Do not wash them or remove the caps until they are ready to use. Strawberries should be used promptly; they will not stay fresh long.
- Note: For the best results, always serve shortcake fresh. The dough can sit in the refrigerator for up to two hours while waiting to bake.
- For the strawberries: Wash and slice the strawberries. Sprinkle the strawberries with sugar and toss to coat.
- For the whipped cream: Combine the whipped cream, two tablespoons sugar, and the vanilla in a chilled bowl. Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. Sweeten with the additional sugar if desired.
- To serve: Split the warm biscuits open. Fill with berries and whipped cream. Top with additional whipped cream and berries.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More