- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and cream of tartar. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives. Stir in cream and egg. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 minutes. Press into a half-inch thick sheet. Cut into squares. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons sugar over sliced berries.
- Let shortcakes cool before splitting and filling with sugared berries.