Strawberry Shortcakes with Orange Scented Whipped Cream
Why I Love This Recipe
Our classic strawberry shortcake with the addition of orange whipped cream is sure to please any palate. Tender buttermilk shortcake is filled with a pile of sweetened berries and fluffy homemade whipped cream with a hint of orange. This strawberry shortcake recipe is a keeper.
Ingredients You'll Need
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup + 2 tablespoons low fat buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (16-ounce) packages Driscoll’s strawberries
3 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest
Fresh orange zest strips (optional)
1. For the shortcakes: Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl whisk together 1 cup buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir into the flour mixture until just moistened. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead 4-5 times with floured hands. Gently pat the dough to a 3/4-inch thickness. Use a 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 8 shortcakes, gathering scraps and patting out again if necessary, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of each with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
3. Bake until light golden, 12-14 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack 10 minutes. Carefully split shortcakes horizontally using a serrated knife.
4. For the strawberry filling: Hull and chop 15 strawberries and toss in a bowl with 2 teaspoons sugar; set aside. Combine the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and orange zest in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer on high stiff peaks almost form, about 3 cups; refrigerate until ready to use. Hull and halve 20 berries lengthwise. Hull and vertically slice 8 strawberries. Use any remaining strawberries for garnish or reserve for another use.
5. To assemble: place the bottom halves of the shortcakes, cut side up, on eight serving places and spread each with 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Arrange five strawberry halves, on their sides (with the cut side facing in towards the center) around the edge of each shortcake to form a ring. Spoon the chopped strawberries into the center of the ring. Top with 2 tablespoons whipped cream and place shortcake tops, cut side down, on top. Spread tops with 1 tablespoon whipped cream, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Decoratively arrange 4-5 strawberry slices on top and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Drop a small dollop of whipped cream in the center of sliced berries and garnish with the orange zest strips if using. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cake