Strawberry Shortcakes with Orange Scented Whipped Cream
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup + 2 tablespoons low fat buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (16-ounce) packages Driscoll’s strawberries
3 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest
Fresh orange zest strips (optional)
1. For the shortcakes: Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl whisk together 1 cup buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir into the flour mixture until just moistened. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead 4-5 times with floured hands. Gently pat the dough to a 3/4-inch thickness. Use a 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 8 shortcakes, gathering scraps and patting out again if necessary, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of each with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
3. Bake until light golden, 12-14 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack 10 minutes. Carefully split shortcakes horizontally using a serrated knife.
4. For the strawberry filling: Hull and chop 15 strawberries and toss in a bowl with 2 teaspoons sugar; set aside. Combine the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and orange zest in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer on high stiff peaks almost form, about 3 cups; refrigerate until ready to use. Hull and halve 20 berries lengthwise. Hull and vertically slice 8 strawberries. Use any remaining strawberries for garnish or reserve for another use.
5. To assemble: place the bottom halves of the shortcakes, cut side up, on eight serving places and spread each with 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Arrange five strawberry halves, on their sides (with the cut side facing in towards the center) around the edge of each shortcake to form a ring. Spoon the chopped strawberries into the center of the ring. Top with 2 tablespoons whipped cream and place shortcake tops, cut side down, on top. Spread tops with 1 tablespoon whipped cream, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Decoratively arrange 4-5 strawberry slices on top and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Drop a small dollop of whipped cream in the center of sliced berries and garnish with the orange zest strips if using. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pairs Well With
Our classic strawberry shortcake with the addition of orange whipped cream is sure to please any palate. Tender buttermilk shortcake is filled with a pile of sweetened berries and fluffy homemade whipped cream with a hint of orange. This strawberry shortcake recipe is a keeper.