- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold (salted) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar (depending on the ripeness of the berries)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons 0 percent or 2 percent fat Greek Yogurt per serving, for garnish
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Shortcakes: Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup buttermilk, the egg, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and lightly mix with your hands just until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. With lightly floured hands, gently pat the dough into a 7-inch round about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 8 equal sized wedges. Space the shortcakes evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Filling: Combine the strawberries, sugar, zest, and juice in a large bowl. Let stand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is syrupy, about 15 minutes.
- Split the shortcakes. Place the bottom halves of the shortcakes on plates and top evenly with the strawberry mixture and the yogurt. Cover with tops of the shortcakes. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if using.
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More