- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 12-16
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 cup egg whites (about 7)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon each almond, lemon and vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Additional strawberries
- Let egg whites stand for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in water and extracts. Sift flour twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- In a large mixing bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; set aside. Fold into egg yolk mixture just until blended.
- Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets; smooth the top.
- Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add ice water and stir. Place bowl in ice water for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Fold in strawberries and 1/2 cup whipped topping.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Split horizontally into three layers; place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat.
- Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers.
NotesWith fluffy whipped topping frosting an a fresh strawberry filling and garnish, this impressive three-layer sponge cake is a scrumptious summer dessert For best results, be sure to slice it with a serrated knife
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Two Layer Peppermint Bark
Spicy Bean Tamales
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!See More