- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup (100gr) + 2 tablespoons (25gr) sugar
- 2 cups half and half (I use heavy cream)
- 1 vanilla bean, split open
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and one cup of sugar until pale and thick. In a saucepan set over medium heat, bring the half and half and vanilla bean to a simmer, without letting it come to a full boil. Slowly pour the hot cream over the egg yolks mixture while whisking to temper the egg yolks. Pour the whole mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cream coats the back of spoon. It should register 170F on a candy thermometer. At this point you have made a custard sauce, also known as "creme anglaise". Let cool completely, strain and refrigerate until cold.
- While the custard cool, prepare the strawberries. Place the quartered strawberries and the remaining measurement of sugar into a small heavy saucepan over medium heat and cook just long enough for the strawberries to soften and to release some juice. Remove from the heat and let cool. Once both the fruit and the custard are cold, process the custard first according to your ice cream maker manufacturer's instructions and toward the end of the churning period, throw in the strawberries.
- Makes one Quart.
NotesI got this recipe from the blog http://www.mytartelette.com. I made it for the first time earlier this year, and have been hooked ever since. If you are looking for a delish strawberry ice cream, look no further!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More