- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes + 1 hour
- PIE CRUST (for 10" tart)
- 100 g of toasted ground hazelnuts
- 150 g flour
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 120 g cold butter
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 80 g chocolate (I used dark chocolate with 50% cocoa powder)
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 40 g sugar
- 30 g cornstarch
- 750 g fresh strawberries
- 2 tblspoons chopped pistachios
- Sift butter, salt and powdered sugar on the kneading board.
- Add hazelnuts (toasted for about 15-20 minutes in the oven at 200°C and then grounded) and cold butter cut in small pieces.
- Rub the butter and dry ingredients with your fingers to get crumbs.
- Add egg and combine together into a soft dough.
- Form a ball, wrap in plastic and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll the crust dough out (between two pieces of baking paper, otherwise it will stick to the board), press into a 26 cm (10") tart pan and punch the bottom with a fork.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
- Let it cool completely. Melt the chocolate and cover the inside of the tart (bottom and sides).
- Now, prepare the cream. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Whisk the whites with a pinch of salt till soft peaks form and set aside.
- Mix the yolks with sugar, cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of cold milk.
- Bring the rest of milk to boil and pour into the yolks mixture, mixing continuously.
- Cook shortly till it is dense (it really takes a minute from the moment it starts boiling, so don't leave it alone and whisk continuously).
- Add the egg whites into warm mixture and mix well. Fill the tart and let it cool.
- Just before serving, wash and dry the strawberries. Take a handfull of strawberries and puree them with an immersion blender, with 2-3 tblspoons of powdered sugar and a 1 tblspoon lemon juice. Put into a saucepan and cook for a couple minutes stirring.
- Arrange the rest of your strawberries on the top of the tart, if they're big, cut them in half/four. Pour the warm strawberry sauce over the tart, sprinkle with chopped pistachios and serve.
NotesI baked this tart today as Mother's Day gift for myself
NOTE: The recipe is for an 11" tart, but I made small 4" tarts
the recipe is also on my blog
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More