- Cooking Time: 12-20 minutes
- Servings: 12-16
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup cold margarine
- 2 Cups oats
- 1 Cup buttermilk (or 1 Cup milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar, sour milk)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (or more if you like)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- 2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- 3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl
- 4. Add margarine and cut into the flour using a pastry cutter, or fork, or 2 knives. Mixture should look pearly and crumbly.
- 5. Stir in the oats and orange zest.
- 6. Stir in the buttermilk and strawberries until just moistened
- 7. Bring dough together unsing your hands. If dough is too crumbly add a little more buttermilk. Try to avoid overmixing
- 8. Gently pat dough into 8 inch round circle about 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick
- 9. Cut into 12-16 slices like you would a pie or a pizza
- 10. Place slices onto prepared baking sheet, making sure there is space between all slices.
- 11. You can sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- 12. Bake for 12-20 minutes until browned and edges look dry. Be sure not to under-cook, these taste best when the outside is crunchy
NotesThese scones are versatile, you can use other kinds of fruit, cinnamon and raisin, maybe even try garlic and cheese (replace the orange with garlic and strawberries with cheese).
*If using dark pans decrease temperature by 25F
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
50 Shades of Taste
Cooking with SabraSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More