- Cooking Time: 12-20 minutes
- Servings: 12-16
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese scones are versatile, you can use other kinds of fruit, cinnamon and raisin, maybe even try garlic and cheese (replace the orange with garlic and strawberries with cheese).
*If using dark pans decrease temperature by 25F
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup cold margarine
- 2 Cups oats
- 1 Cup buttermilk (or 1 Cup milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar, sour milk)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (or more if you like)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- 2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- 3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl
- 4. Add margarine and cut into the flour using a pastry cutter, or fork, or 2 knives. Mixture should look pearly and crumbly.
- 5. Stir in the oats and orange zest.
- 6. Stir in the buttermilk and strawberries until just moistened
- 7. Bring dough together unsing your hands. If dough is too crumbly add a little more buttermilk. Try to avoid overmixing
- 8. Gently pat dough into 8 inch round circle about 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick
- 9. Cut into 12-16 slices like you would a pie or a pizza
- 10. Place slices onto prepared baking sheet, making sure there is space between all slices.
- 11. You can sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- 12. Bake for 12-20 minutes until browned and edges look dry. Be sure not to under-cook, these taste best when the outside is crunchy