- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryLast month the topic of BakeSpace Test kitchen was Straberry and Eggs. I came up with this cake.
You can check more pictures on my blog:
- for the cake:
- 6 eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 3 tblspoons water
- 80 g flour
- 70 g cornstarch
- strawberry jam
- 1/2 kg strawberries
- 100 ml sweet red wine
- 100 ml red fruit juice
- 2 bags of powdered gelatine
- 4 tblspoons sugar
- 200 ml fruit juice (I used blood orange juice)
- 2 tblspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 20 g cornstarch
- 2 leaves of gelatine
- 200 ml whipping cream
- for decoration: whipping cream, strawberries, chocolate, pistachios, fresh mint leaves
- The cake is a simple sponge cake, baked in a large baking tin.
- Separate the whites from the yolks. Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt and set aside. Beat the yolks with sugar and water until light and thick. Carefully fold in flour, cornstarch and egg whites.
- Cover two shallow baking tins (36x30 cm) with parchment paper, greased and floured. Pour half of the batter in each tin, spread evenly with a spatula, and bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 5-7 minutes. Don't let it dry too much.
- Remove it from the tin, but leave on the parchment paper, just pass the knife underneath to detach it from the paper.
- Spread some strawberry jam in a very thin layer (I don't know how much, 4-5 tablespoons), and roll immediately. Wrap in the parchment paper you used for baking and leave to cool completely.
- When both rolls are completely cold, cut them into 1cm thick slices.
- Place the ring of your spring form on a plate on which you'll be serving the cake. Line the bottom and sides with roll slices.
- Wash, haul, dry and slice the strawberries. Place them in the ring over the cake.
- Prepare the gelatine. Mix sugar with the powdered gelatine.
- Add the wine and fruit juice, stir and bring to boil. Keep stirring until it thickens and becomes transparent.
- Pour over the strawberries. If I make it again, I'll mix the strawberries with gelatine first, and then pour everything in, so that the strawberries are covered better.
- Cream: Leave the gelatine leaves in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Mix fruit juice with sugar and lemon juice and bring to boil. Mix the cornstarch with little cold water and pour into the boiling juice, cook until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and add the softened and drained gelatine. Stir well until gelatine has melted. When it has cooled completely, add the whipped cream and pour over the strawberries.
- Leave it in the fridge for at least 3 hours (or overnight). Remove the ring and decorate with whipped cream and strawberries, sprinkle with chopped pistachios, add a few leaves of fresh mint.