- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Wafel Dough:
- 3 TB Warm Water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 tsp Active dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Unsalted butter
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- Stroop (Syrup):
- 1 TB ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Karo light syrup
- 2/3 cup Honey
- 7/8 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- Proof yeast in 3 TB water with 1 tsp sugar until bubbly.
- Beat butter, 1/3 cup Sugar, Salt and Cinnamon, creaming until light.
- Add the yeast, flour and eggs and mix until crumbly.
- Set the mixer aside and knead with your hands in the bowl until the dough holds together (it will kind of feel like sugar cookie dough)
- Set in a warm place for about an hour to rise. (Don’t worry if it doesn’t look like it’s raising much, it’s a heavy semi-cookie dough)
- Meanwhile, make the syrup (stroop).
- Heat Butter, Cinnamon, Corn Syrup, Honey, Salt and Sugar on stove in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook slowly until thickened a bit (about 10 minutes)
- Remove from heat, it will thicken as it cools, but still must be slightly warm and thin enough to spread easily.
- If it cools too much, reheat gently; if it thickens too much, add a bit of Lemon Juice.
- Heat your waffler.
- Divide the dough into 32 pieces and roll them into balls
- Place a ball in the waffle iron
- Press down and hold it down for about 30 seconds.
- Remove waffle, and with and extremely sharp knife, slice waffle in half, horizontally. Be quick, or the waffle will crisp up on you and all will be lost...
- (They will be really hot, but you must be quick)
- Spread syrup quickly.
- Then press the two halves back together again and set aside to cool and get crispy.
- Repeat with the remaining 31 pieces of dough.
NotesDutch waffle cookies with decadent caramel in the middle. Place these finished waffles over a hot cup of coffee to soften.
These do take a special "Stroopwafler" iron with a very tight grid.
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Italy or BustSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More