- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Wafel Dough:
- 3 TB Warm Water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 tsp Active dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Unsalted butter
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- Stroop (Syrup):
- 1 TB ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Karo light syrup
- 2/3 cup Honey
- 7/8 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- Proof yeast in 3 TB water with 1 tsp sugar until bubbly.
- Beat butter, 1/3 cup Sugar, Salt and Cinnamon, creaming until light.
- Add the yeast, flour and eggs and mix until crumbly.
- Set the mixer aside and knead with your hands in the bowl until the dough holds together (it will kind of feel like sugar cookie dough)
- Set in a warm place for about an hour to rise. (Don’t worry if it doesn’t look like it’s raising much, it’s a heavy semi-cookie dough)
- Meanwhile, make the syrup (stroop).
- Heat Butter, Cinnamon, Corn Syrup, Honey, Salt and Sugar on stove in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook slowly until thickened a bit (about 10 minutes)
- Remove from heat, it will thicken as it cools, but still must be slightly warm and thin enough to spread easily.
- If it cools too much, reheat gently; if it thickens too much, add a bit of Lemon Juice.
- Heat your waffler.
- Divide the dough into 32 pieces and roll them into balls
- Place a ball in the waffle iron
- Press down and hold it down for about 30 seconds.
- Remove waffle, and with and extremely sharp knife, slice waffle in half, horizontally. Be quick, or the waffle will crisp up on you and all will be lost...
- (They will be really hot, but you must be quick)
- Spread syrup quickly.
- Then press the two halves back together again and set aside to cool and get crispy.
- Repeat with the remaining 31 pieces of dough.
NotesDutch waffle cookies with decadent caramel in the middle. Place these finished waffles over a hot cup of coffee to soften.
These do take a special "Stroopwafler" iron with a very tight grid.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More