- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryThis is a great recipe when you really want to impress someone. Maybe you're having a dinner party and you want your friends to be impressed at how GREAT vegans eat ...?
There is a little extra work involved in this recipe, but it's worth it.
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half, seeded and cleaned
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, mined
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 cup prepared grain/brown rice/barley/bulgar wheat/couscous (your choice!)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat acorn squash in microwave for 2 minutes on full power to soften skins.
- Remove squash from microwave and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut squash lengthwise (through the stem) and remove seeds.
- Place on foil-lined cookie sheet and bake skin side down for 30 minutes.
- While squash are baking, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and Swiss chard. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, spices and canned chickpeas. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add prepared grain and mix well.
- Add dried fruit to the mixture immediately before filling the squash.
- Fill each squash quarter with approximately 3/4 cup of the mixture.
- Place on foil lined cookie sheet, cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes.