- Cooking Time: 120
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 4 Whole Artichokes
- 1/4 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs PER Artichchoke (so if you have 4 artichokes - 1 C bread crumbs)
- Per 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 t. salt (you may discover you want more after you've made them once)
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 2-3 T. oil
- 2 Cups water with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Lay artichoke on its side - cut stalk off even to the bottom leaves so it is flat on bottom. Turn artichoke around and cut off approx 1/2 inch to 1 inch of the tip so the top is partially flat. Turn upside down holding the bottom and pound on counter to open the leaves up a bit. Rinse under cold water - drain.
- Combine bread crumbs, salt and pepper in bowl. Carefully, using a teaspoon pull leaves out just a tiny bit and spoon in a drop of bread crumbs into each of the outside leaves. You don't need to get it down in the middle. Evenly distribute bread crumbs among all artichokes. The leaves approx. 2/3's of the way in should have bread crumbs inside each leaf.
- Put oil in dutch oven - squeeze all artichokes so the bottoms are all touching the bottom of the pan. Sometimes the last one you practically need a hammer to get it in but it will be okay in the end. Turn on med-high heat and you will be searing bottom of the artichokes for about 2 minutes - not too long as you don't want to burn the bottoms. Then pour water/lemon juice in. Make sure the liquid comes 1/2 way up the artichokes. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer - cover with tight lid - simmer for about 2 hours but I suggest checking every half hour to make sure there is still liquid. You may need to add water several times until they are done.
- The way to check if they are done is to pick out a leaf and taste for tenderness. When they are tender, allow water to all evaporate until there is less than 1/8 of an inch of liquid left.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
The Naked MacaronSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More