- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large Golden Delicious or Gala apples
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup merlot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Granola Topping
- Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut 1/8 inch from tops of apples. Using a melon baller, remove core, cutting to but not through bottom of apple. Hollow out apple, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell, reserving apple flesh for filling.
- Place apples in a 9-inch baking dish, and fill apple shells with cider.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are slightly tender.
- Drain, dicarding cider.
- In a small saucepan, combine apple flesh, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Cook, over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes, or until apple flesh is tender.
- In a small skillet, combine cherries, merlot, and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until wine is absorbed.
- Add cherry mixture to apple mixture, stirring to combine.
- Stir in graham cracker crumbs and almonds.
- Spoon filling inside prepared apples.
- Sprinkle with Granola Topping, and serve with Caramel Sauce.
NotesSource: Paula Deen magazine
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Cooking for a CureSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More