- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 delicata squashes
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 1 small apple
- 1 small carrot
- 2 green onions
- pine nuts
- dried cranberries
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the squashes lengthwise and seed them. Brush the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat a little olive oil and fry the barley for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2/3 cup water, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat until all the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Leave it to cool slightly in the pan.
- Toast the pine nuts, dice the carrot and apple, chop and onion and parsley and mix them all. Add your favorite dressing (in my case lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil) and toss well.
- Add the cooled barley to the salad and mix.
- When the squashes are cooked fill them with barley salad.
NotesThe other day when I was into town I bought 2 delicata squashes thinking what a flavorful soup I’m going to make out of them, but of course I changed my mind and today I decided and stuff them with some fall salad. So, browsing the internet I ran into some recipes more or less tempting. I picked something from each one and came up with my version with stuffed delicata, of course mostly based on what I already had in my pantry
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More