- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 large yellow onions (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 cups bread cubes, two days old (about 4 slices)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 pound fresh Italian sausage
- To prepare onions for stuffing, leave outer skin on onions and rinse. Trim root end off onions to make a flat bottom. Cut tops off; reserve. Hollow centers of onions, leaving two or three outer layers intact; save centers for another use.
- In a medium mixing bowl, soak bread cubes in chicken broth, turning to coat. When broth is completely absorbed, add sausage. Toss gently to mix well. Fill onions with equal amounts of sausage mixture. Place tops on onions.
- Place each onion upright in center of a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil; bring up edges and seal, leaving a little space for expansion of steam.
- Place foil onion packets upright in center of cooking grate; cook 2 hours or until very tender. Remove onions from foil and remove outer-most skin. Reserve cooking juices and serve stuffed onions with juices