- Cooking Time: 3 hours
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lb beef spleen (miltz)
- Soup Ingredients:
- Few cloves garlic
- Sliced onions
- Celery or any other vegetable
- Leftover gravy
- Stuffing Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, ground or chopped
- 1 C beef suet (or 3/4 C rendered fat)
- 1-1/2 C flour
- 3 heaping T dry bread crumbs (2 slices dry bread)
- 2 round T steel cut oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Directions: Pocket
- Remove outer covering (fat & heavy skin) of beef spleen.
- Be careful, as miltz tears easily.
- Wash and dry with paper towel.
- Use long, sharp knife.
- From one end, ease knife to about 2” from other end.
- Wiggle knife to one side (about 1” from side), then turn knife over (still inside), and cut toward other side.
- Try to stay in middle (dorsal-ventrally), but if cut, go ahead. Later sew it up.
- Directions: Soup
- Boil together water, few cloves garlic and sliced onions, parsley, celery, or any other vegetable or leftover gravy.
- Directions: Stuffing
- Cut pocket in miltz and stuff, sewing any holes and ends with a large needle and heavy white thread.
- Using a large spoon, scrape out as much as possible of inside (after pocket is made). This will be 3 or 4 tablespoons.
- Grind beef suet, then onion.
- Combine with rest of stuffing ingredients.
- Directions: Assembly
- Simmer miltz in soup about 1-1/2 hours
- If desired put roast in tomato gravy or brown in oven with a little fat (additional 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
NotesPhoto of Zelma Levin, age 14.
A miltz is the cow’s spleen. The cooked texture is like a very tender liver.
You can get an old, ethnic butcher to make the pocket.
Miltz is not for calorie or cholesterol watchers.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More