- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup coarse bread crumbs (I usually use a loaf of French bread that's a day or two old and freeze the leftover crumbs for future use.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons herb-infused olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Tear bread into pieces and pulse to coarse crumbs in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and toss with oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a shallow baking pan and bake in middle of oven until golden, 6 to 8 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- Pull stems from mushroom caps (to create space for stuffing) and finely chop stems. Put mushroom caps, stemmed sides down, in a lightly oiled large shallow baking pan and bake in middle of oven until mushrooms exude liquid, about 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- While mushroom caps are baking, melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté chopped stems, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Cool vegetables slightly, then add to bread crumbs along with cheese and parsley and toss well.
- Turn mushroom caps over, then mound mushroom filling in mushroom caps, pressing gently (there will be some filling left over). Bake in middle of oven 15 minutes, then drizzle herb-infused olive oil over stuffed caps. Return to oven and bake until mushrooms are tender and stuffing is golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
NotesI found this recipe on Epicurious.com and tweaked it a bit to use this Thanksgiving. I've made it a few times since, and it's always a crowd-pleaser.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More