- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup coarse bread crumbs (I usually use a loaf of French bread that's a day or two old and freeze the leftover crumbs for future use.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons herb-infused olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Tear bread into pieces and pulse to coarse crumbs in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and toss with oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a shallow baking pan and bake in middle of oven until golden, 6 to 8 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- Pull stems from mushroom caps (to create space for stuffing) and finely chop stems. Put mushroom caps, stemmed sides down, in a lightly oiled large shallow baking pan and bake in middle of oven until mushrooms exude liquid, about 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- While mushroom caps are baking, melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté chopped stems, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Cool vegetables slightly, then add to bread crumbs along with cheese and parsley and toss well.
- Turn mushroom caps over, then mound mushroom filling in mushroom caps, pressing gently (there will be some filling left over). Bake in middle of oven 15 minutes, then drizzle herb-infused olive oil over stuffed caps. Return to oven and bake until mushrooms are tender and stuffing is golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
NotesI found this recipe on Epicurious.com and tweaked it a bit to use this Thanksgiving. I've made it a few times since, and it's always a crowd-pleaser.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce