- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
Backstorywith bread crumbs-no rice.
Many years ago a co-worker would bring stuffed peppers her grandma would make; ( I loved them). This is not her recipe, but close to it...she also used bread crumbs. I found this in a 1940 Culinary Arts Institute cookbook.
- 6 green peppers
- 1 1/4 cups minced cooked meat (beef,chicken,ham,etc.)
- 1 1/4 cups moistened bread crumbs (I remember her grandma used cornbread.)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp. fat
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 1 c. water or stock
- Cut peppers in half, removing stem and seeds. Parboil peppers 10 min.
- Mix minced cooked meat with moistened bread crumbs, add salt, pepper, melted fat and onion.
- Stuff peppers with mixture and place in baking pan. Add water or stock. Bake in mod. oven 375F. for 30 min. Baste frequently.
- Serves 6