- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 loin of pork
- 1/3 lb sweet sausage,crumbled small
- 4-6 garlic cloves - mashed
- 1 pound thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 med. onion, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, minced
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste (sea salt and fresh cracked pepper are best)
- 1 box frozen spinach - thawed and all liquid squeezed out
- 1.5 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 2 T Greek or Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp fresh ribboned mint (rollup leaves and slice really thin)
- 4 tsp fresh ribboned basil
- 1 tsp finely minced fresh rosemary
- To Deglaze -
- With tip of knife 1 inch from the bottom of loin, cut a long slit about 1" deep from end to end. Roll the loin slightly, letting the flap you just cut lay flat.
- Repeat the cut....repeat the action. This will produce a large, fairly flat sheet of pork, about 1" thick.
- Cover a cookie sheet with 3 layers of cheesecloth, put the meat on top of the cheesecloth - cover and refigerate.
- In a large pan, saute next 7 ingredients
- (sausage to salt and pepper)
- When transparent, remove from heat and add rest of ingredients. Mix well.
- Spread filling on pork loin, to within 2" of end. This will be the tail end.
- Carefully lift cheesecloth at front end and use it to help roll the loin back up.
- Be careful not to get the cheesecloth caught in the roll. Roll as tightly as you can...if filling falls out at edges, unroll an inch or so and put it back.
- When rolled, with seam side down, pull 1 end of cheesecloth up and over the loin and pull tight. Pull up the sides, and tuck the end you just pulled under the loin - then roll loin gently over the rest of the cheesecloth, tucking sides as you go. The cheesecloth eliminates the need for string ties.
- Bake in shallow pan -- 350' -- approx. 20 minutes per # -- 160' inner temp.
- When done, remove loin to board to rest 10 minutes before unwrapping.
- After 10 minutes - Remove cheesecloth with scissors - cut near bottom - unwrap and remove cheesecloth - cut into 1" to 1.5" slices.
- While meat is resting:
- Deglaze pan with 1 cup of dark spiced rum and 1 cup club soda - reduce liquid to 1/2, remove from heat and add 2 T cold cubed butter. Serve on side, or spoon over slices when served.
- For a lighter taste, use a good Pinot Grigiot to deglaze.
- Your favorite beer also works well...
NotesFor a special dinner party.....
If you do the whole loin, double the recipe, and be very careful with knife work...it is easier to miss-cut.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More