- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 16 uncooked pasta shells (I used Barilla Jumbo Shells)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- A good shake of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound hot turkey Italian sausage (remove the casings) - you can make this recipe vegetarian by using tofu crumbles in place of the sausage
- 1 15-ounce container of low-fat ricotta cheese (I wanted to find fat-free, but of course they didn't have it...)
- 1/3 cup panko or other dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (I like to make my own (I make a ton and freeze it - today I'm using zucchini marinara; you could use jar sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- Parmesan cheese - about 1/4-1/2 cup to sprinkle on the top
- 1. Cook shells according the package directions while the turkey is browning.
- 2. Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat with the garlic, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Stir frequently to help crumble the sausage. Remove from the heat and stir in the ricotta cheese, panko or breadcrumbs, parsley, and salt and pepper.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a large baking dish with fat-free nonstick spray. Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara on the bottom of the baking dish.
- 4. Fill the cooked shells with the sausage and cheese mixture and place them filled-side up in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the shells and cover the dish with foil.
- 5. Bake the shells for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until the filling is lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese just before serving.
- Reference: The original recipe can be found on the Now That's What Cooking Blog - Chicken Stuffed Shells.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More