- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 medium sized zucchini (at least 1/2 pound each) OR 3 large zucchini (3/4 pound each) OR 1 jumbo zucchini (2 pounds)
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 10 ounces of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated gruyere or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash and scrub the zucchini; split each in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp, leaving shells about 1/3-inch to 1/2-inch thick.
- Steam the zucchini halves until almost tender, about 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of the zucchini. Note that for a jumbo zucchini, you'll need to get a little creative with the steaming, as the halves won't fit in a normal steamer.. You could put a large zucchini on a rack in a roasting pan over half and inch of boiling water, cover it with aluminum foil and cook it in a hot oven until almost tender.
- While the zucchini is steaming, melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large saute pan, add the chopped onions and sliced mushrooms, saute until soft. Stir in the ham, parsley, Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Pile the stuffing into well-drained zucchini shells.
- Mix the bread crumbs and grated cheese together and sprinkle over the stuffed zucchini. Melt 1 Tbsp of butter and drip over the bread crumbs. Place the zucchini boats in a greased baking pan; bake at 350°F until toasted on top and heated through, 20-30 minutes.
NotesI first made this recipe when a friend gave me some large zucchini. This makes a very tasty dish and a nice presentation.