- Cooking Time: 13 minutes
- Servings: Makes 3 dozen cookies.
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- Ingredients for Sugar Cookies:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Icing/Glaze for One Dozen Sugar Cookies:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon half n’ half (plus a few drops if needed for consistency)
- few drops vanilla (or other flavoring, optional)
- few drops coloring (if desired)
- Other Decorations/Equipment:
- sprinkles (if desired)
- melted chocolate
- shredded coconut
- cookie cutters (for circles, a glass or cup works too)
- rolling pin (a clean, smooth bottle works too)
1) Prepare the cookie dough. In an electric mixer cream butter and add sugar and salt. Add vanilla and egg. Add flour and mix. Dough will be like a stiff, yet sticky play-dough. Gather dough and pat smooth. Cover and allow dough to chill for at least 1/2 hour in the freezer or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2) Make the cookies. Lightly flour board and rolling pin. The less flour you use the more delicate your cookies will be. Place dough on board. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place cookies on baking sheet. NOTE: If using colored sugars, sprinkle with sugars before baking. Bake in a preheated 325(f) oven for 13 minutes. Cookies will be pale on top and slightly golden on the bottom. Allow to cool before icing.
3) Decorate the cookies. In a mixing bowl, run whisk through powdered sugar to remove lumps. Add half n’ half to powdered sugar. Whisk vigorously (no lumps!). Add coloring of choice, vanilla (if desired) and whisk again. Use the back of a spoon and carefully ice cookies. Add sprinkles for some extra bling.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies depending on cookie cutter size.
Keep baked and decorated cookies fresh in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Cookie dough can be refrigerated for two weeks or frozen up to a month.
Website Credit: http://www.averagebetty.com/recipes/sugar-cookies-recipe/