- Cooking Time: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryValentine's Day is just around the corner..so here is a special treat. Alton Brown's classic sugar cookie recipe is transformed into tiny, sweet valentines.
EQUIPMENT: 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, 1 1/2-by-1-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter
- 1 recipe Sugar Cookie Dough, at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice
- Small red sugar hearts, for decorating
- Prepare dough as directed and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle a work surface and rolling pin with confectioner's sugar and roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick.
- Move dough frequently to prevent it from sticking and add more confectioner's sugar to the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
- With a 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut 72 dough rounds, re-rolling dough as needed.
- With a small heart-shaped cookie cutter (about 1 1/2-by-1-inch), cut hearts from the center of half the dough rounds.
- Place the rounds and cutouts about 1 inch apart on parchment -lined baking sheets.
- Bake until just set but not brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan slightly before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, confectioner's sugar, and pomegranate juice until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon filling on each round cookie and top with a cut-out cookie.
- Place a red candy heart in the center of each. Leftover filling can be used to sandwich the small hearts together.
- NOTE: If you don't have Pomegranate juice, I would use Milk and a few drops of Food Coloring to achieve desired color.