- Mushrooms – any type dry or fresh. Dry mushrooms must be soaked in water.
- Chinese Cabbage – Hakusai (Japanese) – Nappa (Chinese)
- Bok Choy
- Peppers – green, red or orange
- Green Onion – Scallion
- Bean sprouts or Mung Beans
- The Other Stuff:
- 1 small piece of beef fat,
- ¼ lb thinly sliced beef per person
- Tofu – Fresh or deep fried
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ Cup Sake
- ½ Cup Kikkoman Soya Sauce
- 2-3 cups water or ½ and ½ water and Sake
- You can combine the sugar, sake and soya sauce or you can follow the following.
- Kikkoman also have a prepared sauce. I haven’t tried it but it is a good place to start
Turn pan on to medium and take the beef fat and coat the bottom of the pan in rendered fat.
Sprinkle the sugar and let caramelize slightly.
Pour in Sake and Soya Sauce and ½ cup water
Place ingredients in the pan and let cook for a couple of minutes.
As you cook the sauce will reduce so the water is used to keep the sauce from getting too strong, Keep adding more sauce and water to keep the liquid should be no more than 1/3” deep.
Traditionally the dish is served with a raw egg as a dipping sauce. Personally I omit this step.
Serve with steamed rice
Strangely enough in 1963 there was a song with the same name sung in Japanese that reached a top ten status in America. It is interesting because it was the first song sung in Japanese and the title had absolutely nothing to do with the dish. Go figure.
Sukiyaki is a dish that is most commonly cooked at the table. Traditionally a special cast iron pan is used but an electric skillet works just fine..
This is a good dish for a small dinner party because it gives your guests a chance to choose and cook what they want and a plus for the cook because there is very little prep.
I fill the pan once then let everyone cook their own, less stressful for me.
In terms of the vegetables used, I think that if you like a veg use it. Cut into pieces small enough that it can be easily picked up with chop sticks. I would stay away from root vegetables because they take too long to cook. Wash and cut the vegetables then arrange on a large serving tray.