- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces small red-skinned potatoes, halved
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
- 1 cup chopped fresh green or wax beans
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 kirby cucumber with peel, chopped
- Ranch Dressing, recipe follows
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn mixed greens, such as arugula, romaine, and watercress
- 1 cup sprouts, such as alfalfa, broccoli, radish, or pea, optional
- Put the potatoes in a small saucepan with enough cold water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer, uncovered, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and put in a large bowl.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and salt it generously. Fill a medium bowl with ice water and salt it as well. Add the corn, beans, and broccoli to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon or strainer to scoop out the vegetables and plunge them immediately into the ice water.
- Drain the vegetables, pat them dry, and add to the bowl of potatoes along with the tomatoes and cucumber. Toss the salad with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Taste, and add more salt and pepper, if desired. (The salad may be prepared up to this point 2 hours ahead and refrigerated.)
- When ready to serve, toss the salad with the greens and the sprouts, if desired, and with a bit more dressing if you like your salad on the well-dressed side. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.